We'll start things off this afternoon with two brief announcements about next week. First, we are taking Memorial Day off so that we can relax, grill out, and enjoy our families. We hope you can take the time to do something similar.
But make sure you come back on Tuesday, because the rest of next week, and specifically June 1, we will be celebrating the 1-year anniversary of Fantasy Matters! We're quite excited, and we have some special things for you--including a new area of the site! We hope you can visit us and help us with our celebration.
Also, we'd like to draw your attention again to Fireside magazine, a magazine edited by Brian White. A while back, he kicked off this magazine with Kickstarter and wrote about it for us; he's now working on the second issue, which our own Kat Howard will be writing for. We'd encourage you to check out the project for yourself!
A few more fun things we found for you this week around the Internet:
- 2011 Locus Award winners! (Locus)
- Mashups of Disney and Marvel characters. (Imgur)
- John Scalzi, author of Old Man's War and many other wonderful books, is doing an interview series with musician Jonathan Coulton. (Tor)
- The ABCs of spaceships. (Imgur)
- Not really fantasy/scifi related, but since maps are important in a lot of epic fantasy, my guess is that many of you will like this, too: several people at Stanford have created an interactive map of the Roman world that allows you to map routes and get an estimate not only of the distance of travel, but also the difficulty, time, and cost involved. (Orbis)
- It's almost summer, which means wedding season is ramping up. If you're getting married, perhaps you would like a cake like one of these. The first is inspired by Wheel of Time, LOTR, and a bunch of video games, and the second--well, if you need me to tell you what inspired this one, I think you need to turn in your geek card... (When Geeks Wed)