Not only do the clips progress, more or less, as the song does--by decade, but the creators of the video also worked to pair clips with appropriate lyrics. Joel sings about Fidel Castro, and the image of Castro, from The Simpsons, appears on the screen. My favorite was what appeared when Joel sings "homeless vets"--not what you expect, perhaps, but quite appropriate.
Take a look (and if you need a password, it's fandom!):
You can read more about the creation of the video over at Dreamwidth.
Here are some of the other fun things we found for you this week:
- Haunted houses made from a single sheet of paper--also known as Horrorgami! (Paperdandy)
- How Edward Gorey illustrated three classic fairy tales. (io9)
- Eleven random Harry Potter facts. To be honest, I knew most of these. Are there other Harry Potter facts that you know of that are worth sharing? (MentalFloss)
- Great post on Samuel R. Delaney and reading science fiction critically. (Bookslut)
- It's Shark Week this week on the Discovery Channel, and so Tor has decided to celebrate with this post on sea monsters! (Tor)
- A fascinating post on the philosophical roots of science fiction. (io9)
Have a great weekend everyone! And if you go swimming in murky waters, beware...