For starters this afternoon, we'd like to congratulate the winners of the Locus Awards, including China Miéville for Embassytown, which won Best Science Fiction Novel; George R.R. Martin for A Dance with Dragons, which won Best Fantasy Novel; Erin Morgenstern for The Night Circus, which won Best First Novel; and Catherynne M. Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, which won Best Young Adult Book. Here is a list of all the winners--congratulations to all!
Here are some other fun things we found for you this week:
- Nancy Hightower wrote a really cool piece about the sculpture of Kate MacDowell. (Weird Fiction Review)
- Classic scifi films re-imagined as pulp novels. (Imgur)
- An amazing flowchart connecting the characters in Stephen King's fiction. Caveat: it doesn't include The Dark Tower series, but all that means is that one of us can do it. So, get to work! (Geek Tyrant)
- A trailer for The Avengers, Firefly-style. Boy, do I miss that show! (Buzzfeed)
- Yesterday was the summer solstice--here is a collection of beautiful art celebrating this long day of light and wonder. (Tor)
- A fascinating interview with Brian and Wendy Froud. (John Barleycorn Must Die)